Jama Masjid Imam Bukhari Agrees To Revoke Controversial Order Banning Women’s Entry After Delhi LG VK Saxena’s Intervention

Delhi's Jama Masjid Bans Solitary, Group Entry of Women and Girls, Place Three Plaques of 'Diktat' Outside Mosque

New Delhi, November 24:  The administration of Delhi’s historic Jama Masjid has agreed to revoke the controversial order banning the entry of women into the mosque. A source at Raj Niwas said that Imam Bukhari agreed to revoke the order after Delhi Lt Governor VK Saxena spoke to him.

Earlier in the day, the Jama Masjid administration placed sign boards outside the mosque that read in Hindi, “Entering into the mosque for one girl or girls alone is prohibited”. The sign boards were installed outside each of the mosque’s three entrances. Delhi’s Jama Masjid Diktat Is Violation of Fundamental Rights of Women Worshippers, Says NCW.

The source at the Raj Niwas said that Delhi LG Saxena spoke to Imam Bukhari and requested him to rescind the order. Imam Bukhari agreed to withdraw the order with the request that visitors respect and maintain the sanctity of the mosque.

Meanwhile, taking a strict view of this gender discrimination, Delhi Commission for Women Chief Swati Maliwal said that this is a shameful decision and against the Constitution. Delhi’s Jama Masjid Bans Women’s Entry Without Men: DCW Takes Suo Moto Cognizance, Serves Notice.

Terming this as Talibani behaviour, Maliwal said that we have issued a notice to the Imam. The decision to stop the entry of women into Jama Masjid is absolutely wrong. No one has the right to ban the entry of women like this. In any case, the ban will be removed, she added.

(The above story first appeared on Fresh Headline on Nov 24, 2022 07:15 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website freshheadline.com).